Seniors, I found an article titled Moby Dick, A Wicked Book that I wanted to share with you. Please read the article and complete the following steps. This should be sourcebook entry #9, with the same title as the article.
1. Comprehension. In your sourcebook, summarize the main points of the article in about 1/2 a page. Bullet-point format is fine for this.
2. Analysis. Choose three significant quotes and copy them into your sourcebook. After each quote, discuss why you think that sentence is key to Sloan's argument.
Now, put down your sourcebook. Instead of writing the following answers in your sourcebook, they should be posted as comments to this blog entry. Write your name in the comment title.
3. Application. Choose a significant quote and discuss how it changes the way you see the meaning of any formalist patterns. For example, could Sloan's argument change what you think the whale symbolizes? Discuss the implications of his ideas. (Please, don't all use the whale example.)
4. Evaluation. Choose a significant quote and discuss to what extent you agree with Sloan's analysis, and why. You may note any flaws you see in his argument.
5. Synthesis. Respond to another student's comment. (You may have to do this separately, after some people have posted answers to #'s 3 and 4)
If you don't complete this assignment in class, please complete it by Tuesday, Sept 14.